Wednesday, October 12, 2011

This land is my land...

Wow! Yup that word sums up everything since the last post. We got our probe holes dug with no problems. I just stood around a watched as holes were dug to about 6 feet and the dirt was looked at. Fun times. Then it came time for the perc test. For starters all we had to do was dig post holes, put rocks in the bottom, and pre soak them. My dad and Chris dug the holes and Chris and I were in charge of getting the water to the holes. We needed barrels of water at each test site and there were three of them. Easy enough so we thought. My dad left for a trip to Canada and Chris and I had a couple days to fill the barrels before we left for Disney. We filled the 55 gallon drums of water bucket by bucket until they were overflowing. Why not fill them by using a water tank (like farmers use) because it would make life much easier. Oh yeah....because the great flood of 2011 started after the small holes were dug. Chris and I had to get the buckets filled before we left for vacation and we couldn't get the truck close enough to the barrels due to it being so muddy so bucket by bucket the barrels got filled. We worried that the sites wouldn't perc due to the face the ground hasn't seen that much water since 1972. No worrying because we were off on vacation. We arrived back home safe and sound and came to find out all 3 test sites passed!! YAY!!! Now what?? The next step was to call surveyors and get boundary lines before subdivision and before we could get our sewer permit. So I called, I talked, I explained, and I learned. I have been on the phone for hours already and we haven't even started to build. But I have learned. As a people lover I have learned to work with and talk to all kinds of people and to make sure everyone was on the same page. I need to call 2 more surveyors and am waiting to hear back from 1 for an estimate. Here's to hoping for a reasonable estimate and a smooth process.

No comments:

Post a Comment