Sunday, August 14, 2011

Perc-Probe-And everything in between

A lot has been happening in the building world. No walls are going up, no footers are being laid, but there have been a lot of phone calls, a lot of meetings, and a lot of research happening. This is such a learning experience and an interesting learning experience at that. Where shall I ever start is the big question?

We got our first estimate from Contractor #1 a couple weeks back and we were a little taken back because it was above what we were initially hoping for. Contractor #2 called on my birthday while I was getting ready to sit down at Red Robin for my free birthday burger and broke the news that the estimate they were coming up with was much higher than where we wanted to be at but I assured them to just keep going with it and we can talk about it when we sit down and review everything. So we waited....

While we waited for contractor #2's numbers to come in I was on the phone. I was on the phone about perc test, probe test, and driveway permits. I call about the tests and the guy (I don't really know what his exact title is), who was my softball coach as a kid, decides maybe he should just come look at the land and get a slope reading so we can determine where we want to dig the different test holes. Yup all foreign language to me. So I meet with him take some slope readings talk about the perc test and what we need. While he was there I asked about driveway permits and he doesn't hesitate to tell me that an unmarked road in PA is 55mph. My facial expression must have said it all because he repeated himself. I had to laugh because if you know the lane we are building on there is no way anybody travels 55mph. Well nobody has since Katie (my cousin) picked me up from school and was running late and getting dressed all at the same time. It might not seem like a problem and it's not a huge problem but it doesn't allow us to put the driveway where we wanted to. One more to do...get a speed limit posted on the road that is not 55mph.

While we wait to dig the first piece of ground on the property, the probe test, I get a phone call. Contractor #2 has their estimate. We meet, we talk, we review. Let's just say Contractor #2's estimate is about $30,000 less than Contractor #1. A decision has been made! Contractor #2 it is. So a phone call will be made tomorrow to let them know they are the builders of our project.

We have a contractor, perc test has been ordered, and we have a final floor plan. PHEW! I feel a sense of accomplishment with all of this but there is a long road ahead....

No comments:

Post a Comment