Friday, June 17, 2011

A bank is a bank...

So I thought. Up until this point a bank was a bank to me. When the "no pay" crisis hit Chris right before we got married he quickly opened up a PSECU account and since that day I have loved everything about PSECU. The no interaction with people, doing everything online, and getting interest in our checking account-i love it. But then it came to finding a funding source for our project. For a week I was on the phone with countless banks and I thought why wouldn't a bank fund the project, it's just a construction loan. I learned quickly.

PSECU, Wells Fargo, the other credit union we belong to, FHH-FAIL. I called, I spoke, they hung up quickly. I quickly learned the bigger the bank the less willing they are to work with you. They all wanted you to buy a house that is already standing and if you take out one construction loan you don't get another one. So I went to my roots.

I called JVB and of course they would fund the project. FNB Mifflintown-of course they would fund the project. I let out a huge sigh of relief when both of those banks didn't hesitate to say yes to doing a construction loan now and then another down the road. In fact I had to ask JVB again (they were the first to say yes) if they really would fund the project that we envision. The guy chuckled and said of course we are a community bank we are willing to look at anything. Oh how I love small town thinking.

Now that we can get funding (upon approval of course) the next step is to find a builder that is willing to do the project and here's to hoping this search is less stressful than the whole funding fiasco.

No comments:

Post a Comment