Monday, June 27, 2011

Builders

How hard is it to find a builder? I should learn by now when I start a question with "how hard is it..." it's not going to go as smoothly as I think in my head it should. I googled searched builders in central pa because as my motto always goes, if google doesn't know it, it doesn't exist. I came across some and I quickly emailed them about building our garage/living space and then later building our home. Some just didn't email be back and others simply replied with we only build in developments or we only build our own home plans. That's just not going to work for us so off the list they went. I asked around and one dear friend quickly replied that they were thrilled with their contractor but our trusty neighbor right down the road said I would highly recommend our builder and I quickly wrote down the phone number. A phone call later we had an appointment with a response of we will build whatever you want.

Tonight was the night for the "big" meeting. I am the first to admit I haven't a clue how to build a home or what all I need to get in order. But I'm learning the process since this isn't going to be our only build. We met with Todd from S&S Homes and he was patient, trustworthy, and knew his stuff. We showed him what he wanted, I told him I NEEDED a pantry, Chris a urinal, bigger steps, bigger garage doors, and radiant floors, and I NEEDED a pantry. Yeah I said that a couple times just to make sure I got what I wanted. He wrote it down, we walked the land to get some advice and for the first time I could visualize where our home will sit one day and where our garage/temporary home/"in-law" quarters will sit. Oh and we can't forget where the pool will be. :)

Yeah I might talk to more builders after we get an estimated cost to build and see if anyone can beat it but I'm happy. I'm happy with what he said, there were no gimmicks, no suites/ties, no business deals. It was straight forward advice.

As I sit here writing this there are 1,000 things running through my head. None of which has to do with windows, garage doors, lights. It's more like ovens, stoves, washers, dryers. If you know me you know that I am in love with appliances and go to Lowe's just to hang out in the appliance aisle to open up every fridge, oven, stove, etc. and explore. So here's to the million steps that stand between me and appliances.

No comments:

Post a Comment